I’m crying so hard right now guys, it’s taking a lot of effort to type properly, my vision’s all blurry from the tears and not wearing my glasses
This is my arm, covered in butterflies as part of The Butterfly Project. All are in various states of fading, except for that shiny new one, with the polka dots, which is why I’m crying.
I just got back from walking to Cosmo’s, a cafe near my house that I go to often. While I was sitting there, waiting for my drink, a man (who seemed maybe in his mid to late thirties, like 36 at the most) tapped my shoulder. I was already on-edge because I was by myself, something I don’t do often, so a strange man talking to me made me jumpy.
He had a serious look on his face, and he pointed to my arm. “Those butterflies on your arm. Are they for The Butterfly Project?”
Still flustered, and now embarrassed, I told him yes they were. “For yourself, or did you do them for your friend?” he asked. I told him that they were for myself.
“Can I sit?” he asked, and I said something like “Yeah, sure.” cause I was still all nervous and stuff
He then pulls a black Sharpie out of his pocket. “Would you please let me draw a butterfly on your arm?”
I almost started crying right there. A complete stranger wanted to give me a butterfly. I told him yes and gave him my arm, and he drew that beautiful polka-dotted butterfly right there.
I asked him how he knew of The Butterfly Project, and he told me this:
“I found out about it last year. My… My son committed suicide, because some kids at his school were bullying him because they found out he was gay. After that, I looked up as many suicide prevention and self-harm help things I could. I don’t want anyone to commit suicide or harm themselves for any reason.”
I didn’t know what to say- I’m not very god with words. I told him I was sorry that he had to lose his son like that, and I thanked him profusely for the butterfly.
We talked for a while about things; self-harm, homosexuality, bullying. When I had to go, I stood and he hugged me and said “I love you. Please, don’t ever harm yourself again. I know it’s hard, resisting the urge, but please stay strong for me.”
I had to bite my tongue to hold back the tears. I said I’d try my hardest, and he smiled and left.
I never asked his name. I wish I would have, because that man is one of the kindest, most beautiful souls I have ever met. I wish I could thank him again.
Oh my god, that is so beautiful…
This is the reason projects like this exist.
literally started crying ;;
- nihilistic-attitude likes this
- nihilistic-attitude reblogged this from superblys
- thevampyrknight likes this
- tissuecube likes this
- wisdomfromtheyoungandstupid likes this
- paigehastakenthetardis likes this
- sorarikuyaoi likes this
- anothernewadventure reblogged this from unabridgedmusing and added:
- anothernewadventure likes this
- sleepwellbeautiful likes this
- smiling--on--the--outside reblogged this from tonyperry-turtle
- havingeliminatedtheimpossible reblogged this from unabridgedmusing
- tonyperry-turtle reblogged this from thegirlwithscars
- tonyperry-turtle likes this
- unabridgedmusing reblogged this from thegirlwithscars
- unabridgedmusing likes this
- prozacandsoymilk likes this
- oh-its-suicide-season likes this
- thedaydreamerandhim reblogged this from thegirlwithscars
- quietdarlings reblogged this from thegirlwithscars
- quietdarlings likes this
- sky-0f-rain reblogged this from thepizzaeater
- vichusrabbut reblogged this from thegirlwithscars
- theminigiant reblogged this from thepizzaeater
- notyou-notperfect likes this
- thegirlwithscars reblogged this from thepizzaeater
- thegirlwithscars likes this
- thepizzaeater reblogged this from eyesexwithfinn
- nattbarn likes this
- justlovely7 reblogged this from pink-chandeliers
- connarrh reblogged this from l0ve---sucks
- connarrh likes this
- l0ve---sucks reblogged this from canyouunott
- brimorganwhitbread reblogged this from stopselfharm
- hayleyjones2323 likes this
- pinchepajaro likes this
- neonxcupcakexskuttlez likes this
- pretty-faces-ugly-hearts likes this
- cattasticxfit reblogged this from getfit5ever
- cattasticxfit likes this
- diaryof-a-thinlamb reblogged this from personal-proclamations
- jonnovstheinternet likes this
- getfit5ever reblogged this from rorose132
- rorose132 reblogged this from why-the-hate
- tradingwishesforgoals likes this
- personal-proclamations reblogged this from why-the-hate
- satans-ice-cream-truck likes this
- raevetosen reblogged this from sweatandhappiness and added: